The TF1 Group publishes its Climate strategy
Objective of a 30% reduction in carbon emissions from scopes 1 & 2 and 3a by 2030;
The TF1 Group's commitment to the low-carbon transition is confirmed through its content and the support it provides to its customers (advertisers and media agencies).
The TF1 Group has been committed for several years to reducing its carbon footprint by reducing direct and indirect emissions from CO₂. This approach is recognised in the media sector by its presence in numerous extra-financial indices such as the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (1).
Since 2007, the group has been assessing its carbon footprint, published in the extra-financial report (now the "extra-financial performance statement") of the universal registration document and verified by an independent third party since 2012.
In 2019, the carbon balance published by the TF1 group (2) amounted to 315,000 tonnes equivalent CO₂, of which 75% was related to programme purchases. As a media company, the TF1 group remains a low direct emitter, but it wishes to strengthen its contribution to the low-carbon transition through its content and support for its customers.
TF1's climate strategy is based on three axes:
- Reducing the carbon impact of its activity with a target of a 30% reduction in carbon emissions from scopes 1 & 2 and 3a (3) by 2030 compared to the 2019 carbon balance. This objective is based on 4 priority areas related to the highest emitting items: eco-production of programmes, responsible purchasing, responsible digital and sustainable mobility;
- Supporting our customers in the promotion of more environmentally friendly products. TF1 and Unify's advertising agencies continue to support their clients more actively in the move towards sustainable advertising and to promote products that meet these criteria, thanks to innovative and adapted commercial offers. To this end, they are mobilising the strength of their media ecosystem consisting of 5 free channels and several sites with committed communities;
- The contribution to the low-carbon transition through its content. The TF1 group intends to strengthen its role in raising public awareness of environmental issues by creating a "Génération Ushuaïa" programme on Saturday mornings on TF1 from 16 January and by expanding its offer around the Ushuaïa brand. These initiatives will complete an already significant range of content on its digital verticals and in its news programmes, magazines, documentaries, dramas, streams and within its dedicated channel Ushuaïa TV which, for 15 years, has been promoting environmental protection.
These objectives reflect a strong desire to contribute to the fight against global warming, in accordance with the 2015 Paris Agreement (4).
Progress towards these objectives will be reported annually in the extra-financial performance statement published in the TF1 group's universal registration document.
(1) Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI 2020), category "media and entertainment", a benchmark measure of companies' ESG performance.
(2) Scope of the carbon balance sheet published in the Universal Registration Document available on www.groupe-tf1.fr (point 4.3.1). Reduction targets are given on this same scope.
(3 )Scope 1 & scope 2: direct and indirect energy emissions, scope 3: other indirect emissions (e.g. purchases).
(4)The Paris Accord aims to strengthen the global response to the threat of climate change, in particular by containing the rise in global average temperature to well below 2°C above pre-industrial levels by 2100 and by continuing action to limit the rise in temperature to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels.