THE ‘SUSTAINABLE PARIS DOERS’ INITIATIVE
In Paris, thousands of stakeholders are involved in the City’s drive for ecological sustainability: individuals, professionals, the voluntary sector, all are involved in local, concrete actions of all sizes and scope, some quite modest and others far more ambitious. To encourage a spin-off effect in jobs and daily life, the City of Paris Municipality launched a programme in 2011 called the “Sustainable Paris Doers”.
The acteursduparisdurable.fr web site is the programme’s hub delivering content and acting as a social network; it lists all eco-actions and showcases their Doers; encourages exchanges; offers practical tools; etc.
The Doers community also organises monthly free local events open to all. See the agenda on the web site.
Plenty to read, see, do and share on www.acteursduparisdurable.fr/
THE ECO-COMMITTED SME DOERS
Why should I engage? Where to start? How can I monitor my project? This App has an FAQ section to supply answers.
NETWORK OF ECO-COMMITTED BUSINESS CLUSTERS
In line with its sustainable development policy, the City of Paris is encouraging businesses to embed environmental protection in their activities. The ‘Eco-Committed Business Clusters’ initiative offers an environment that will encourage businesses hosted by these clusters to engage in an eco-responsible scheme (incubators; nurseries; shared office facilities). There are over 30 such clusters in Paris, each hosting some 65 businesses on average, for a 3-year period. Targeting these clusters means having an impact on nearly 2,000 Parisian economic agents every 3 years.
- A network of eco-committed clusters offering businesses an environment conducive to developing their own greening attitude;
- Full step-by-step scheme (3-Step methodology; tools; support and networking opportunities);
- Paperless: direct access to on-line consultation;
- Introduce the notion of a representative of the community of users.
The greening commitment scheme is designed for Business Clusters based in the Paris Region. Easy to use, it can be implemented with a limited amount of means (time constraints and human resources being the main deterrents); it is straightforward enough to be rolled out easily. Involving the Cluster hosted businesses results in extensive leveraging of ideas, means and actions. Some start-ups have limited time but tend to adopt good practices or contribute novel ideas.
- For business clusters – the initiative offers many advantages: reduced running expenses; energy savings; facilitation role; etc.
- For the hosted businesses – businesses learn about the initiative at a stage in their development that is conducive to embedding behavioural changes in their very DNA.
The Handbook is a first of its kind: it is based on a simple environmental scheme adapted to nurseries and shared office facilities. Designed in 3 Steps and 10 Action Sheets, the tool is easy to use and understand, factual, and will walk you step by step through the rolling out of your environmental scheme. It is dedicated to business cluster managers and facilitators.
THE PARIS CLIMATE AGENCY
The City of Paris took the initiative of creating the Paris Climate Agency (APC) - l'Agence Parisienne du Climat . This independent, multiple partnership voluntary community organisation (Association loi 1901) was launched in January 2011 with the following mandate:
The establishment of this unusual Agency had been provided for in the Paris Climate Plan.
The APC scope of action was established on the dual remit of federating the various stakeholders and enabling Climate Plan actions for a low carbon Paris environment.
APC activities have been deployed in three areas:
- Involve – Inform - Advise;
- Assist in Paris building stock retrofit;
- Strengthen partner-oriented cooperation around the Paris energy transition issue.